You made it to the last and final course of the CoETaIL program! I’m very excited to be on this final leg of your CoETaIL journey with you!
Course 5 Overview
As mentioned a number of times, Course 5 is very different than the rest of the courses. Here’s how:
- This course runs the entire semester, from February 5th – May 7th.
- All assignments for this course must be published/uploaded by April 23rd, 2017.
- You don’t have readings and commenting every week!
- Between April 23 – May 5th, you’ll be leaving peer feedback on final projects (we’ll share more about this later on in the course)
Course 5 has three main components:
- Community Engagement
- Final Project
Since you’re already familiar with the blogging aspect, the important thing to know is that you’ll only need to write 4 posts for this course, instead of the usual 6. If you’d like to write more, that’s great! (Check out Week 3 for more details.)
The Community Engagement element builds upon the commenting you’ve been doing in the previous four courses, and asks you to extend your reach beyond just commenting on COETAIL (and other) blogs. (Check out Week 4 for more details.)
The final project allows you to apply everything we’ve been discussing in the previous four courses in your classroom. You will take at least one of the project ideas you developed at the end of Course 4 and actually teach it, reflect on it, and get student feedback over the course of this semester. As you’re teaching, reflecting and hearing from students, you’ll be recording samples for your final project presentation (to be shared online by the end of this course). (Check out Week 2, 5 and 6 for more details.)
As you work through each of these components, please make sure to include the links on your grading spreadsheet so I can keep up with your work.
Prior to final grading, I’ll be grading/giving feedback in three rounds (just as I have done in past courses) any work completed by February 22; March 25; & April 22.
Final Grades & Peer Feedback will be released between May 7 – May 12, 2017.
All assignments for this course are due are due on April 23rd. This gives you time to complete everything before the other participants watch your finished final product video.
- Start by browsing/reading all the units. Or at least the rubrics It says “Week 1” or “Week 6” because the machine likes it that way, but you can work through them at your own pace. And I think if you take some time, explore all the resources, the rubrics and the requirements now it may save some uneasiness about what is expected of you.
- Perhaps think about doing some backwards planning, in terms of timing. April 23 sounds far away, but it will come quicker than you think and you don’t want to be writing four blog posts and completing a final 10 minute video all around the week ending April 23rd!
- Networking: Lurker to Leader: The community engagement requirements asks you to build your online PLN. Think about what tribe you want to be a part of after COETAIL and get in there sooner rather than later.
- Don’t worry if things don’t go to plan. We know theoretically that it’s okay to fail. But I find teachers in particular hate when we mess up. But if you don’t mess up, you don’t have anything to reflect on. So celebrates mistakes and be honest in your sharing!
- Ask for feedback and ask for help. There is the Course 5 Google+ community. The hundreds of COETAILers on Twitter who remember being in your shoes. Use your blog to ask for feedback. But don’t feel like you have to work in isolation.
Communication between me and you
As course 5 is different, the way I communicate with you may be a little different. There may be fewer posts on this page. We won’t have the same weekly conversations in your blog comments. But do let me know via the gradesheet if you have posted something new so I know to check your blog. Do check back here to see what I have posted. As always, you can send me an email too!
And finally….always feel free to reach out for help or when you need someone to geekily cheer a win with you. I’m so excited to see what you do next!